High Street Saturday, a new campaign day, is happening on Saturday 16th March to celebrate high streets at the heart of communities across the country. The day is a chance for local people to come together to support their high streets. As part of the day, we are encouraging local people to:
- Pledge to shop locally on High Street Saturday.
- Share photos and messages online using #HighStreetSaturday.
- Encourage local councils to apply for the Future High Street Fund, provided by the Government to ensure high streets and town centres are fit for the future.
High streets are instrumental in bringing people together – acting as a meeting place for friends and families and supporting jobs for local people. But we know that it is becoming harder for businesses on high streets across the country to compete with out-of-town shopping centres and online retailers. The campaign day builds on the support the Conservatives in government have provided for our high streets:
- Delivered over £10 billion of business rates support since 2016, including cutting small retailers’ bills by a third.
- Backed community leaders with £675 million of funding to help modernise their high streets and town centres.
- Relaxed planning rules to support new homes on the high street, transforming them into community hubs where people work, live and shop.