Local MP, Caroline Dinenage, has today welcomed news that the Government aims to eliminate homelessness within ten years.
The Government’s raft of measures include:
- £315 million of funding to local authorities and £197 million for homelessness programmes
- £100 million to deliver low cost move on accommodation services
- £402 million in Flexible Homelessness Support Grant funding
- £50 million to Homelessness Prevention Programmes
- Implementing the Homelessness Reduction Act 2017 in April to prevent homelessness
The Government has also launched a Rough Sleeping and Homelessness Reduction Taskforce to drive forward policies to meet this goal.
Commenting Caroline said: “Tackling the root causes of Homelessness is vital to ensure that everyone has the opportunity to a healthy and happy life.
Whilst statutory homelessness continues to be lower than the 2003 peak it remains a significant problem.
I am pleased that the Government is really looking at this problem from every possible angle, making extra funding available and looking at effective policies from all over the world. These efforts have my full support.”